Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Assorted Ramblings on a Variety of Topics

My father follows this blog, and he pointed out that I have neglected dessert here.  He's got a point, but I'm not sure what to do about it.  I don't often prepare many desserts more complicated than topping some ice cream, and I'm trying to lose weight right now and I'm not really eating sugar.  Given those two facts, it's unlikely that you'll see any great dessert tips here anytime soon.  Maybe when I get down to 200 pounds I'll post up my recipe for Shoo Fly Pie.  I took several recipes, some that I got from family and others that I found online and did some major experimentation.  It took me almost ten pies to get one that I thought was perfect.  Maybe those ten pies are part of the reason I'm trying to lose weight now.

Last week I talked about eggs, and I have plenty more where that came from.  My next blog post will be a quiche.  Quiche is awesome for a variety of reasons.  If you're willing to start with a frozen crust (and I usually am) they are incredibly simple to prepare.  They're also delicious and you can put almost anything in them.  I'll try to buy some pie crusts today...

It's spring, and for a lot of people that means fishing season.  If you're not an angler, you should consider it.  If you are an angler, get out there!  I've been too busy to fish much these last few years and that needs to change.  Fishing is a great way to relax, spend time with your family, and maybe even bring home something fresh and delicious.  I'm not going to turn this into a fishing blog, but if it's been a few years since you wet a line, maybe this spring would be a good time to get back out on the water and try to catch yourself a delicious dinner.

Friday night is Pizza Night at my house, and most weeks we make our own from scratch.  I use the basic dough recipe found here: Garlic Bread, sometimes with a few tablespoons of oregano mixed into the dough, a simple pizza sauce and whole milk mozzarella cheese that I buy in huge blocks and shred at home.  FYI - that dough recipe should make two thin crust pizzas.

Pizza sauce:
Olive Oil
Garlic
Oregano
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt & Pepper
Tomato Sauce

Start with a medium sauce pan over medium heat.  Add enough oil to thinly coat the bottom of the pan - two or three tablespoons, I guess.  When the oil is hot, add your garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper to taste.  I like a lot of garlic.  Three or four cloves of freshly chopped garlic is best.  A good amount of oregano is good too, probably a rounded tablespoon or so.

The garlic will cook really quickly, and as soon as it starts turning brown around the edges add your tomato sauce.  Stir well, reduce heat and bring to a boil.  It's done once it boils.  One large can of tomato sauce is usually enough to make four pizzas, so plan on freezing half of it for next week.

If you want a thicker sauce, add some tomato paste or use crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce.

We make pizza every Friday, so I'll get some pics up this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment